nanog mailing list archives

Re: net.terrorism

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 21:49:50 +0800

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001, Sabri Berisha wrote:

(relaytest.orbs.vuurwerk.nl), then you need a private connection to
that specific site, just as many academic sites test unstable network
software.  Expensive, but shouldn't be too bad considering that both of
you are in the Netherlands....

If I want to make sure my traffic gets to that host, I can set up a static
route to our second uplink. But it's not *me* who should be filtering. How
do I know which other hosts are being announced and blackholed?

I was just about to say the same thing. I don't quite think of it
as terrorism, I just think its not nice for someone to decide
part of a net block they're passing the announcements for is being
selectively filtered inside their own network.

the host in question isn't even an above.net client - its a uunet
client.

If you have a problem with it, drop announcing the /16 to customers.
When customers complain about unreachability to a site, tell them
that uunet (note *uunet*, not vuurwerk) are breaking their AUP and
they should complain to uunet. You're still 'protecting' your
customers.

I'd rather get partial announcements than traffic-filtered announcements.
That way, my other network pipes (which hopefully have a path without
above.net in it to vuurwerk) will take over. above.net are happy.
vuurwerk is happy. life is good. no bitching or extra configuration.

(oh, and note: this opinion has nothing to do with my employer,
interpersonal relationships or my opinion of orbs. You might be
surprised how unrelated it is.)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd                    "Sex Change: a simple job of inside
<adrian () creative net au>       to outside plumbing."