nanog mailing list archives

RE: The large ISPs and Peering

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:33:23 -0700

There is the larger problem of anti-trust issues. Those large providers
collectively represent more than 60% of the market. I believe that this is
the real basis of the concern. Such an arrangement could be construed as
being anti-competitive. Were IBM to make such an arrangement with IBM and
AT&T then DOJ might become very active. The same holds true here.

Companies holding such large market-share control cannot quite do things the
way that they want because we (collectively) have made laws that have deemed
such activities as public-policy effecting activities and subject to some
regulation, by public bodies. I don't see where that has changed. Even in
the spirit of telcom co-opetition, such activity can still be construed as
collusion. I'm suprised that their lawyers let them do that. Also, the past
30-years of track-record clearly shows that such activity cannot be kept
secret.