nanog mailing list archives

Re: The large ISPs and Peering

From: Fletcher E Kittredge <fkittred () gwi net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:30:28 -0400

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:21:54 -0400 (EDT)  Curtis Maurand wrote:

Non-Tier-1 players are by no means being excluded from getting into these
facilities - exactly the opposite. The facility vendors are pushing to get
them in. The only thing were weren't included in is the choice of
facilities; if the Tier-1s want to form a consortium (they call it that,
rather than a "cartel"), it's certainly within their rights to do so.

A rose by any other name...  The fact is, and history shows us, that when
cartels form, things get bad for the consumer.  Oil, Electricity,
telecomm.  However, The placement of the NAP's is disconcerting, because
the process for choosing them was closed.   Does it make sense for all of
my traffic going to maine.rr.com from lamere.net (both in Maine and in the
same communities) to exchange traffic at MAE east 650 miles away?

Curtis,

        As an aside, there actually is a peering point in Portland,
ME, USA located in One City Center.  I heard a rumor you folk were
planning to join.  I hope you do.  Honestly, I think the reason your
traffic takes the above route is internal resistance inside
your own company....

good luck,
fletcher