nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

From: Steve Sobol <sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 00:36:44 -0500

Vadim Antonov wrote:

(BTW, if you're an Itailan, DNS is not a much of help if you want to find
CNN - www.cnn.it is _not_ a real CNN :) And www.pbs.com is _not_ PBS TV,
you should use www.pbs.org instead. And typing IRS into location bar of
the browser gets you nowhere - www.irs.com is not the Internal Revenue
Service, etc, etc.  Cursory tour of DNS produces thousands of examples
like those.

The United States Postal Service registered both usps.gov and usps.com (and
publicizes .com, FWIW). But I bet there are plenty of sites that didn't
do that, or couldn't because the names were already taken.

The point is - hierarchical naming or categorization is not useful in
general case.

You'd rather memorize IP addresses instead? You're a better man than I. :)

/me rushes to register nanog.net and nanog.com. Woops; both are already
taken.

--
Steven J. Sobol/CTO/JustThe.net LLC | sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net
SAY IT LOUD: I'M GEEK AND I'M PROUD! | 888.480.4NET (4638) 216.619.2NET (2638)