nanog mailing list archives

Re: QOS or more bandwidth

From: Pete Kruckenberg <pete () kruckenberg com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:44:19 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

Although I generally agree, how does one keep QoS out
of the core for CBR and jitter-sensitive applications?

I would disagree and argue that your core needs to be
running top of the range routers with fat pipes with
spare bandwidth, for a large network if you run out of
CPU or bandwidth your routers will simply fall over.

If you have sufficient bandwidth and your routers are
running smoothly then there is no use for QoS hence I
wouldnt use it (plus it will slow down the routing
process).

QoS isn't just about queueing algorithms and transmit
reordering. QoS-triggered path selection (a la MPLS-TE, PBR)
can be an equally compelling motivation, if the network is
built for differentiated services (which most aren't today,
since a packet is a packet is a packet). This would make
most sense in the core, of course.

Pete.