nanog mailing list archives

Re: To CAIS Engineers - WAKE UP AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS

From: Adam McKenna <adam () flounder net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 01:23:03 -0700

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:42:54AM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:
Oracle (try and build a DB without reverse working right.
Net8 stops you
dead in your tracks).

Sorry, but this is just 100% wrong.  I've set up Oracle on
many boxes and you
don't need any DNS at all to set up an oracle DB.  In fact, I
tell our DBA's
to use IP addresses in their TNSNAMES.ORA files because I
don't want the DB
depending on DNS.

Let's see, I don't want to make my DBs dependent on DNS, so I use IP addrs.
Yet, I can't depend on IP addrs because my upstream might have to be
changed... damn, I shouldn't have depended on my scumbag DSL upstream, eh?

I believe we've been through this discussion before.

Gee, maybe I should have had a names based system after all? Either way, I
wind up having to rebuild Oracle boxen and application servers, every time
somebody farts. Just what in blue hell are we supposed to do?

Maybe you should get a clue, or hire someone who has one.

BTW, the last I checked SSL certs are usually names based. Pretty slack
security, eh?

Yes.  See http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/bugtraq/19991114052453-12962-qmail@cr-yp-to
and http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/forgery.html

--Adam