nanog mailing list archives

Re: To CAIS Engineers - WAKE UP AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS

From: Stephen Griffin <stephen.griffin () rcn com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 18:14:11 -0400 (EDT)

In the referenced message, Hunter Pine said:

Larger - ARIN refers to netblocks by subnet mask bit length. So a /30 is
larger than a /29.

It took me a while to figure this out myself while reading their docs. I
guess whenever referring to ARIN, I use the backwards method when comparing
netblocks to keep myself at least partially sane. :)

I have most commonly seen networks referred to in terms of size
(larger/smaller), and prefixes in terms of length (longer/shorter).

Therefore, a larger network has a shorter prefix-length, and a smaller
network has a longer prefix-length.

IIRC, ARIN makes all references as to prefix-length in this manner.