nanog mailing list archives

Re: EMAIL != FTP

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:08:37 -0400

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 10:01:52AM -0400, John Fraizer wrote:

Have you thought about that before sending a large file via email to
someone?

John, you seem to be assuming that the transfer of files via email is
done on a whim to randomly-selected individuals around the net.

While that may be the case for a large number of people, nobody involved
in this discussion is that clueless.  Hint: they'd probably have an aol.com
or msn.com email address, and no clue what NANOG is.

OK.  How is that any different that the time it takes you to send the file
to the SMTP server?  MOOT!

John, here's the steps involved in sending the file to the SMTP server:

Click "attach".

Select the appropriate directory.

Click on the file.

Or are you assuming that the folks in this discussion don't have LANs, and
are using uuencode and piping through /bin/mail?  I think your information
is about 15 years out of date.

No.  That's what the uneducated newbie does.  The regular user uploads it
to their http/ftp server and sends a link to the file via email.

And yet, I continue to exchange files with other system administrators
of Fortune 500 companies.  Guess we're all "uneducated newbies".

Please don't breed.

When you reach the point where every paragraph contains an ad-hominem,
we can only conclude you don't have a technical argument, and are instead
engaged in knee-jerk reaction.

If you educate your users, you have no problems.

"Don't use this feature that SMTP was specifically designed to allow, and
that sendmail is default configured to facilitate.  Instead, jump through
a bunch of extra hoops, so that John Frazier will not call you a clueless
newbie.  Trust me, you'll be happier. <click> Hello?  Hello?"