nanog mailing list archives

Re: slowing down every 60 seconds due to BGP scaner

From: tang bing <tang_bing () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:50:40 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for all your replys !
Sorry for the lack of more info .
There are 12000s, with 12.0+ IOS , has one or more
EBGP peers and 10+ IBGP .
Customer gave us continuous ping and pinpoint this 60s
thing .

I think Chris Konger is right .
We will put more memory and enable CEF on the line
cards to see if its better .

Ben

--- Chris Konger <ckonger () internap com> wrote:
tang bing wrote:

I found all of my backbone routers slow down every
60 seconds,
it will last 5 seconds . While this happens , the
CPU may get
more than 70% utilization and BGP scaner is the
process that
chewing the CPU (50%). Customer with video stream
noticed that.
Cisco said it's normal. Any idea ?

The 60 second lags will be observed with any packets
that are
*process* switched. Fast/CEF switching aren't
impacted by the
minute processes. So the more traffic you can get
off the CPU,
the better.

BTW, if you are doing pings/traces from the routers
to check
this you will always observe the 60 second lags.
This is because
these commands are *always* process switched when
executed on
the router.

Chris Konger

PNAP Network Engineer