nanog mailing list archives

Re: Draft of Rep. Berman's bill authorizes anti-P2P hacking

From: Michael Smith <mksmith () noanet net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:54:45 -0700

On 2002-07-24-14:10:00, James Thomason <james () divide org> wrote:
If this legislation is passed, they certainly will earn Null0 on
mine.

Unless, of course, the RIAA, MPAA, and friends carry out their
cracking through throw-away dial and DSL accounts, like they
purportedly use now to troll for copyright offenders, and send
automated nasty-grams to their upstream providers.

Carrying out their cracking from a uniform netblock or AS, which we
could all identify and filter, would be too easy.  They're flagrant,
but they're not stupid.

The Business Software Alliance appears to be using this technique to flush
out people distributing their Members' software via Gnutella and others.  I
have received the obligatory nasty-gram advising me as the "owner" of an IP
(not taking into account the IP has been allocated and then assigned to
consecutive downstream providers) that I could be held liable for the
actions of this particular user.

Mike