nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP and aggregation

From: Stephen Griffin <stephen.griffin () rcn com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:42:49 -0400 (EDT)

In the referenced message, Ralph Doncaster said:

BGP will discard any prefix with its own AS in the path, for loop
prevention. Hence, one half of the AS would still be unable to
reach the other half. This is why a partitioned AS is a failure
condition. A tunnel is a means to keep the AS nonpartitioned.

I was thinking of doing iBGP over my transit connections (with a couple
of static routes so the iBGP works) AND over my inter-city circuit.  Any
reason why this won't work?

-Ralph

The loss of igp metric will make it untenable at best. Do it over a
GRE tunnel, with your regular igp (isis, ospf, eigrp, or shudder rip).

default routes have their own problems which only treat the symptoms
of a partitioned as, rather than the problem.