nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

From: "Marshall Eubanks" <tme () multicasttech com>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 17:53:48 -0400

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 00:41:09 +0200 (CEST)
 Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com> wrote:

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

     Brad>        No,  the traffic  budget is  on upstream  traffic, not
     Brad> downstream. Stream  content all you  want, but don't  try to
     Brad> generate too much upstream traffic or you get your bandwidth
     Brad> severely curtailed.

[The whole thing about port 80 upstream bandwidth limitations getting in
the way of streaming audio/video sounds like nonsense to me, since this
usually doesn't go _to_ TCP port 80, even flowing _from_ TCP port 80 is
something I haven't seen this century.]

 good consumer... don't try to talk. just watch the propaganda...

    Yeah, well.  For Internet cafe's, this is probably a fairly
reasonable assumption.

Ok, suppose someone can touch type. The world record is something like 600
key presses per minute, which is 10 41-byte TCP packets per second ~= 4
kbps.

When I go to Internet cafe's (I like Global Gossip), I connect my Ti-book
to the local ethernet if at all possible (that's why I like Global Gossip) and
use high bit rates (i.e., file transfers) in both direction.

If I was limited to 4 kbps outbound, I would want my money back.

Just one customer viewpoint :)

Regards
Marshall Eubanks