nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dual node vs "Reliable IP" Architecture

From: "Peter E. Fry" <pfry () swbell net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:41:43 -0500

Brandon Ross wrote:

I've always found that these types of papers and products always miss one
big area of failure, at least in my experience.  What happens when the
highly redundant device is skewered by a fork lift?  Yes, I've had this
happen.  At least if you have a dual router config, and separate those
routers physically, you have a chance of surviving such problems.

  Apparently your skeweree was insufficiently armored -- an obvious
design flaw.
  Where do you draw the line?  Probability trees aside, you design your
system and take your chances.

Peter E. Fry