nanog mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSL

From: Scott Francis <darkuncle () darkuncle net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:18:23 -0800

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:55:24PM -0500, smb () research att com said:
In message <20030317173458.GC9680 () darkuncle net>, Scott Francis writes:

Fun is about all it comes to. See what Schneier had to say in the most
recent crypto-gram regarding this hole.
<http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0303.html>

This is a new attack, not the one Schneier was talking about.  It's
very elegant work -- they actually implemented an attack that can
recover the long-term private key.  The only caveat is that their
attack currently works on LANs, not WANs, because they need more
precise timing than is generally feasible over the Internet.

Hm, mea culpa. I read the title without digging very far into the actual
announcements and thought it a rehash of the earlier holes. Thanks for
clearing it up for me.
--
Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net
      illum oportet crescere me autem minui