nanog mailing list archives

Re: State Super-DMCA Too True

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:24:30 -0600

Thus spake "Kuhtz, Christian" <christian.kuhtz () bellsouth com>
From: Stephen Sprunk [mailto:stephen () sprunk org]
[..]
Common carrier status exists for this very reason.  Unfortunately, it
probably means we'll have to stop filtering things like spam and DoS,
since filtering on content inherently violates common carrier protection
-- see the smut suit against AOL a few years ago.

Come on, don't go lumping DoS and smut into the same basket.
You can't be possibly serious about considering the two to be equals.

Okay, I'll admit filtering DoS will probably survive given it's a problem
for the carrier, not just the customer.  But my original point is that as
long as ISPs do not examine the contents of a customer's packets, they
cannot be held liable for what's in them.  Content filtering, whether for
smut, spam, or piracy, is a serious argument against ISPs claiming common
carrier status.

In other words, you reasoning is quite flawed the way I see it, and
blocking DoS is indeed legitimate and legally supportable.  Excesses
are rarely protected by any legal statutes.

To the extent a customer attacks or defrauds the carrier itself, protection
measures are allowed.  But you cannot "protect" the public at large without
a court order to do so.