nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Class A Data Center"

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:44:45 -0700

Try looking under Sean Donnelan (sp?  Sorry Sean).

I think you are referring to something he did.  However, I don't remember
for sure.

Owen

--On Wednesday, September 24, 2003 3:34 PM -0400 "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com> wrote:

In message <20030924182025.GA87443 () darkuncle net>, Scott Francis writes:

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 03:58:31PM -0400, bobgerman () irides com said:
=20
=20
This is the assumption I have come to as well.  Are there any
established standards for enterprise datacenters at all, aside from the
obvious, N+1 redundant everything, diverse paths, etc.?

I don't know if it qualifies as an "established standard", but ISTR that
Steve Bellovin had a paper about various levels of reliability in data
centers ... [searches] argh. I can't find it yet. Perhaps Mr. Bellovin
can refresh my memory ... the paper I'm recalling had specifications for
5 or so different levels of reliability and redundancy in data centers
(able to withstand criminal attack, armed attack, conventional
explosives, nuclear explosion, acts of God, etc.) and was interesting
reading. The focus, as I recall, was on the level of engineering
required to reach various levels of uptime (99.9, 99.99, 99.999, etc.).

Not me.