nanog mailing list archives

RE: How many backbones here are filtering the makelovenotspam scr eensaver site?

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:15:34 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 4:09 PM
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: How many backbones here are filtering the makelovenotspam
scr eensaver site?

on Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:55:02PM -0800, Chad Skidmore wrote:
quoting me:
What's the difference? Why is everyone so upset about Lycos and
nobody seems to be doing much of anything about the /existing
botnets/, which conservative estimates[1] already put at anywhere
from 1-3K per botnet to upwards of 1-5M hosts total[2]?

Well, the primary difference is that Lycos is trying to market what
they are doing as a "good" thing in a fairly public manner. If their
vigilante efforts become accepted as "OK" then it further opens the
door for others to take the next step towards making dDOS attacks ok
as long as you feel your motivations are pure. As network operators
we all need to make sure that we enforce our AUPs and make it known
that breaking those AUPs is not ok just because you feel
your motives
are pure. Most AUPs have some language that basically states that
dDOS and simlar activities are "bad" and we will take action if you
engage in said "bad" activities.

My point was to Martin's question about what would happen if - god
forbid - there were large botnets under the control of spammers; a
careful reading will suggest that my major point was, duh, that there
already are large botnets under the control of spammers.

Um, not 1 million bots - in concert.

-M<