nanog mailing list archives

Re: Out of office/vacation messages

From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:10:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Gregh wrote:

 - run on Windows,
Oops, I see your problem.  No self-respecting network operator runs and
M$W boxen as an MTA, so Templin is an imposter/troll.

This isnt true, the majority run Windows (at least thats what I see in
various meetings and from the user-agent headers)

I'm not arguing with your conclusion, but your reasoning is a little broken.
Only a small proportion of the nanog list membership attend meetings, and
those that do don't necessarily provide a representative distribution (of
any kind).

Similarly, the user-agent headers you see are from people on nanog-post; I
am told the nanog list is much bigger.

You know, I wish I had Nanog posting rights. This whole thing is very SIMPLY
taken care of yet so many "professionals" are making a D in a B cup about
it!

You can write/buy/install any flavour of OS you like with a very simple rule
in it to delete "out of office" messages from the server OR just blackban
that particular email address for "X" number of days.

Why is the obvious always the thing most people argue about?

That wont work - how do you sort the bad ooo's from the legitimate ones. The
problem is on the sending side not the receiving and a quick hack isnt going to
fix anything but you may annoy a few people on the false positives you drop..

And any half decent IT manager isnt going to allow a hack into a system, they
are going to require a proper solution.

Steve