nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP list of phishing sites? Website behind Net attack offline

From: Henry Linneweh <hrlinneweh () sbcglobal net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:01:57 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9975753%255E1702,00.html

-Henry

--- Scott Call <scall () devolution com> wrote:

Happy Sunday nanogers...

I was doing some follow up reading on the
"js.scob.trojan", the latest
"hole big enough to drive a truck through" exploit
for Internet Explorer.

On the the things the article mentioned is that
ISP/NSPs are shutting off
access to the web site in russia where the malware
is being downloaded
from.

Now we've done this in the past when a known target
of a DDOS was upcoming
or a known website hosted part of a malware package,
and it is fairly
effective in stopping the problems.

So what I was curious about is would there be
interest in a BGP feed (like
the DNSBLs used to be) to null route known malicious
sites like that?

Obviously, both operational guidelines, and trust of
the operator would
have to be established, but I was thinking it might
be useful for a few
purposes:

1> IP addresses of well known sources of malicious
code (like in the
example above)
2> DDOS mitigation (ISP/NSP can request a null route
of a prefix which
will save the "Internet at large" as well as the NSP
from the traffic
flood
3> etc

Since the purpose of this list would be to identify
and mitigate large
scale threats, things like spammers, etc would be
outside of it's charter.

If anyone things this is a good (or bad) idea,
please let me know.
Obviously it's not fully cooked yet, but I wanted to
throw it out there.

Thanks
-Scott