nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP list of phishing sites?

From: Dan Hollis <goemon () anime net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:46:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:
If they are notified that they are an
accessory to a crime and do not take any
action, then doesn't this make the provider
liable to criminal charges?

You would think it would. But who bothers to prosecute? No one.

Did you really inform the provider's legal department of
this fact or did you just send an email to some dumb droids in the
abuse department?

Yes and I was told they would not do anything unless they received a
subpoena or law enforcement forced them to shut it down, and that if I
wanted action I should talk to the police instead.

Quite frankly, I don't consider messages to
the complaints/abuse department to be "notice".
How long does it take to find a head office
fax number and draft up a legalistic looking
"notice" document addressed to their legal
department?

Not long, but its a waste of time because they wont do anything anyway.

The only way to get their attention is with blacklists.

-Dan