nanog mailing list archives

Re: IT security people sleep well

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:20:27 -0400

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:46:36 CDT, Stephen Sprunk said:

In spite of all that, I do encourage using SSH whenever possible, but
believing there is no cost associated with doing so is foolhardy.  Depending
on the perceived level of threat, one might consider other security projects
to be a higher priority.  We all have to deal with limited funding and
staffing for projects, even for critical functions like security.

Amen to that.  It's the rare shop indeed that internal security projects are
high priority - are there *any* shops where "track down user XYZ and smack
them upside the head *again*" isn't the most pressing issue, with "Find a way
to muzzle XYZ so they can't click on it *again*" is number 2?

(I suspect the two categories of shops are "Yes, *again*", and "Usage of
live ammo is a realistic option"... ;)