nanog mailing list archives

Re: Distributed Dictonary email slam

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:24:02 -0400

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 07:58:06PM -0400, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Matt Hess wrote:

source hosts.. Now being as we are a secondary mx I'm dropping their record
out of our email system as I write this, however, I am curious if other have
gone through or are currently going through something of this magnitude (12K
spam/dictionary msgs per hour destined to one domain and that's just what is

You want to keep a list of valid accounts on the secondary so you can refuse
mail for non-existing accounts on the secondary too.

If you don't care about yourself -- relize that if, say, all of these mails
have a return address forged from the same domain, you will be DOSing THAT
site with the bounce messages.  This is enough for some people to block mail
from you.

        does anyone have some pointers to a good (possibly radius+sendmail)
based approach for checking this?

        i'd like to have my backup mx host reject mail for non-existant
users/aliases as long as the primary is up, but if it's down, it should
accept them and queue, plus possibly cache misses for a period of time (24h?)

        - jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net