nanog mailing list archives

Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

From: Steven Champeon <schampeo () hesketh com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:00:27 -0400

on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 07:41:34AM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

On 4/30/05, Steven Champeon <schampeo () hesketh com> wrote:

ANantes-106-1-5-107.w193-251.abo.wanadoo.fr

You'll see 'abo' for 'cable', perhaps? as well as 'cable'. But for most

abo = short for "abonnement", that is, "subscription" / "subscriber"
Just means its a pool of IPs assigned to users, I guess.

Yes, Romain Komorn was kind enough to tell me this offlist. Thanks.

Dunno. Don't have many examples of those, as I block most traffic from
there, and what I didn't block didn't often have rDNS anyway. The one
net.cn example I have, nova, named all of their rDNS with
user.nova.net.cn - yep, that's it - what every host is named.

And there's a vietnamese ISP that was clever enough to give the same
rDNS - "localhost" - to all their IP space.  Don't know which one of
the three ISPs there does this, but as APNIC 20 is in Hanoi, I'll most
likely find that out for myself.

Yep - got a rule to block stuff from them and everyone else who does
something that stupid, too.

FPT Viet Nam uses 'adsl-pool-xxx', 'adsl-fix-xxx', and 'dialup-xxx' (yes,
the x's are part of the actual name, not a placeholder for the numbers).

So its not FPT Vietnam, but one of the two other ISPs there

They may use it, too. I dunno. It's not reliable to assume that any one
given network always has the same rDNS naming conventions.

'bredband'. The Japanese use 'flets' and 'ftth', the Dutch and others

ftth = fiber to the home.  flets is also some kind of fiber.

infoweb.ne.jp uses ftth, as does solcon.nl, onsnet.nu, and a few US ISPs,
such as brightohio.net, cvalley.net, and surewest.net. nmt.ne.jp uses flets,
as does across.or.jp, netwave.or.jp, dsn.jp, alpha-net.ne.jp (which also
apparently uses "bflets", and incl.ne.jp. Google suggests others do, too,
but they haven't come across my radar yet, or don't use it in rDNS naming.

--
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/account_manager.html    join us!