nanog mailing list archives

Re: potpourri (Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors )

From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall () ehsco com>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:35:47 -0600

On 4/1/2005 12:34 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

on the other hand I disagree with your example that the US is inventing
everything,

Nope, didn't say that either.

Also, look at where implementation of high-speed local access is being
done, it's not in the US anyway.

Also a reflection of culture. We aren't high-density as in Korea, and we
don't have massive natural resource and taxation revenues to afford fiber
drops into every isolated corner of a single state as in Norway, and so
forth. More to the point, we're not going to move into single-room
dwellings or invert our economy (both of which are suggested from time to
time--"the koreans/norwegians can do it, so can we..."). Instead some fool
will develop (and deploy) unproven technologies that may or may not
eventually solve our problem, at great pain and expense to us all. Even
more to the point, of course, we're glad that others are successfully
using (and will be using) the technologies that work out in spite of our
apparent foolishness in pursuing them.

But really, all I'm saying here is that nationalizing and/or mandating
technology may work great elsewhere (and even in some areas here) but
generally speaking its not in our culture and the suggestion falls flat.
I'm not bragging, I'm explaining why.

If the PTTs can sit on their access networks without regulation, there
will be no competition in the access, and then the market comes to a
standstill because building new access networks costs an arm and a leg,
especially if right-of-way is hard to come by and you have to negotiate
with every land-owner on the way.

It's in everybody's interest to reduce capitalization requirements and
increase access. See voluntary tower-sharing agreements, for example.
http://wethersfieldct.com/B+C/PZC_05-18-2004.html and start reading at
'tower sharing'; I'd prefer to see this made easier, certainly.