nanog mailing list archives

Re: botted hosts

From: Petri Helenius <pete () he iki fi>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:31:50 +0300

Sean Donelan wrote:

Locating bots is relatively easy.  If you think that is the hard part, you
don't understand the problem.
It's easy to some extent, databases to a few hundred thousand are easy to collect but going to the millions is harder.

So how do you encourage people to fix their computers, without the press
writing lots of stories about "evil" ISPs cut off service to grandmother's
on social security looking at pictures of their grandchildren.
Experience tells that telling (obviously automatically) the users that their computer is too unsafe to be on the public internet and it'll stay that way until they either fix it or change to a less clueful provider works wonders.

There are at least 20 million and probably more compromised computers on
the Internet.  Who has a plan to fix them?
If the nanog readership is a few thousands, that's only ~5-10k for each of us. Piece of cake. And I still don't buy the number. I might buy 2M.

Pete