nanog mailing list archives

Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:51:37 -0400

In message <41EC8387-77D2-4F4E-9509-41A3870DA5D8 () muada com>, Iljitsch van Beijn
um writes:

On 7-jul-2005, at 0:18, Joe Abley wrote:

With great hindsight it would have been nice if the multi6/shim6
design exercise had come *during* the IPv6 design exercise, rather
than afterwards: we might have ended up with a protocol/addressing
model that accommodated both the address size problem and also the
DFZ state bloat issue. Oh well.

Well, maybe I'm too optimistic here, but I believe that if a real
solution to the DFZ problem presents itself, the IETF will bend over
backwards and then some to shoehorn it into IP.

There were people who tried, way back when.  We were outvoted...  (The
situation in the IETF has indeed changed.)