nanog mailing list archives

Re: 911, was You're all over thinking this (was: Re: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service)

From: John Levine <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 24 Jul 2005 18:20:29 -0000

world-wide, so that if you're an American in Europe, you can still
call 911 and have that work as expected.

Given that there are UK telephone numbers starting 911, this seems
rather unlikely.

Given that we're talking about cell phones, it seems completely
likely.  Cell phones present the dialed number as a block, so there's
no ambiguity between 911 and 911XXXXX.  I don't know whether UK cell
carriers map 911 to 112, but there's no technical reason they can't do
so.

I agree that for VoIP using normal phones through adapters, 911 in the
UK won't work.