nanog mailing list archives

Re: 911, was You're all over thinking this (was: Re: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service)

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:12:50 -0400

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 02:01:33PM +0100, Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:
This whole "single number" hype should end anyway.

In Russia it is simple, there are three numbers:

01 - Fire Service
02 - Police
03 - Ambulance/Medical response

Easy to remember especially because the number is written
in large figures on the side of every emergency response
vehicle. You could even retrofit these numbers into other
countries because they are two digit numbers.

Personally, I assert that that's bad design for two reasons:

1) they're too *short*: they pre-empt too much dialling pattern space,
and they're hard to recognize as what they are, compared for example to
9-1-1 and 1-1-2.

2) it shouldn't, in general, be the place of *someone reporting an
emergency* to have to decide what kind of response they want.  In the
US, for example, medical emergencies are often first-responded by
firefighter-paramedics, because there's a firestation closer than the
nearest ambulance.  There's no way a caller could know what's closer...

Cheers,
-- jr 'ah... *telecom* :-)' a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      "...the rough cannot be mean and the love cannot be true, and that's
      as wise as I can get at 10 o'clock in the morning."
        -- Bill Shatner, on being an anti-hero.