nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 daydreams

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 04:43:19 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mark Smith
<random () 72616e646f6d20323030342d30342d31360a nosense org>
wrote:

Why have people, who are unhappy about /64s for
IPv6, been happy enough
to accept 48 bit addresses on their LANs for at
least 15 years? Why
aren't people complaining today about the overheads
of 48 bit MAC
addresses on their 1 or 10Gbps point-to-point links,
when none of those
bits are actually necessary to identify "the other
end" ? Maybe because
they have unconsciously got used to the convenience,
and, if they've
thought about it, realise that the byte
overhead/cost of that
convenience is not worth worrying about, because
there are far higher
costs elsewhere in the network (including
administration of it) that
could be reduced.

Wrong issue.  What I'm unhappy about is not the size
of the address - you'll notice that I didn't say "make
the whole address space smaller."  What I'm unhappy
about is the exceedingly sparse allocation policies
which mean that any enduser allocation represents a
ridiculously large number of possible hosts.  The only
possible advantage I could see from this is the
protection against random scanning finding a user -
but new and fun worms will use whatever mechanism the
hosts use to find each other: I guarantee that the
"find a printer" function won't rely on a sequential
probe of all of the possible host addresses in a /64
either...

Also, the 64-bit addressing scheme is sized to include
the MAC address, right?  Why would encoding L2 data
into L3 be a good thing?  The conceptual problem that
I have had with v6 from the beginning is that it's not
trying to optimize a single layer, it's really trying
to merge several layers into one protocol.  Ugh.

-David Barak-
-Fully RFC 1925 Compliant-

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise: