nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Xen

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:31:04 -0400

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 08:50:51 PDT, Eric Frazier said:

Speaking of commercial support, I have been looking really closely at using
Solaris 10 which includes Zones.
But there has been so much press lately about Xen. And from what I read in
Linux mag recently there is HW support that totally changes how efficient
Xen can be.

Solaris shops are going to find Zones useful.  Linux shops are going to find
Xen useful. However, I severely doubt that Zones are going to attract any Linux
shops, or that Xen will be enough to make Solaris shops convert.

And the shops that are so totally Java/PHP/Perl/whatever that it doesn't matter
if they're on Solaris or Linux will end up choosing whatever hosting solution
costs them the least per month...