nanog mailing list archives

Re: Extreme congestion (was Re: inter-domain link recovery)

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 06:50:53 -1000

So that's why I keep returning to the need to pushback traffic a couple
of ASNs back.  If its going to get dropped anyway, drop it sooner.
ECN
Oh goody, the whole RED, BLUE, WRED, AQM, etc menagerie.

wow!  is that what ECN stands for?  somehow, in all this time, i missed
that.  live and learn.

Connections already in progress (i.e. the ones with ECN) we want to keep
working and finish.  We don't want those connections to abort in the
middle, and then add to the congestion when they retry.

so the latest version of ECN aborts connections?  wow!  i am really
learning a lot, and it's only the first cup of coffee today.  thanks!

The phrase everyone is trying to avoid saying is "Admission Control."

you want "pushback traffic a couple of ASNs back," the actual question i
was answering, you are talking admission control.

randy