nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google wants to be your Internet

From: Mark Smith <nanog () fa1c52f96c54f7450e1ffb215f29991e nosense org>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:08:04 +1030

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:51:08 -0800
Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> wrote:

On Jan 20, 2007, at 6:14 PM, Mark Smith wrote:

It doesn't seem that the P2P
application developers are doing it, maybe because they don't care
because it doesn't directly impact them, or maybe because they don't
know how to. If squid could provide a traffic localising solution
which
is just another traffic sink or source (e.g. a server) to an ISP,
rather than something that requires enabling knobs on the network
infrastructure for special handling or requires special traffic
engineering for it to work, I'd think you'd get quite a bit of
interest.

I think there's interest from the consumer level, already:

http://torrentfreak.com/review-the-wireless-BitTorrent-router/

It's early days, but if this becomes the norm, then the end-users
themselves will end up doing the caching.

Maybe I haven't understood what that exactly does, however it seems to
me that's really just a bit-torrent client/server in the ADSL router.
Certainly having a bittorrent server in the ADSL router is unique, but
not really what I was getting at.

What I'm imagining (and I'm making some assumptions about how
bittorrent works) would be bittorrent "super" peer that :

* announces itself as a very generous provider of bittorrent fragments.
* selects which peers to offer it's generosity to, by measuring it's
network proximity of those peers. I think bittorrent uses TCP, and it
would seem to me that TCP's own round trip and througput measuring
would be a pretty good source to measuring network locality.
* This super peer could also have it's generosity announcements
restricted to certain IP address ranges etc.

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, for this device to work well it
would need to somehow be inline with the bit torrent seed URLs, so maybe
that wouldn't be feasible to have a server in the ISP's network do it.
Still, if BT peer software was modified to take into account the TCP
measurements when selecting peers, I think it would probably go a long
way towards mitigating some of the traffic problems that P2P seems to be
causing.

Regards,
Mark.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."