nanog mailing list archives

RE: Google wants to be your Internet

From: "Jamie Bowden" <jamie () photon com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:01:16 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Jason LeBlanc
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:40 AM
To: Roland Dobbins
Cc: NANOG
Subject: Re: Google wants to be your Internet

I hear you on the double, triple nat nightmare, I'm there
myself.  I'm
working on rolling out VRFs to solve that problem, still
testing.  The
nat complexities and bugs (nat translations losing their mind and
killing connectivity for important apps) are just too much
for some of
our customers, users, etc to deal with.  Some days it kills
me that v6
is still not really viable, I keep asking providers where they're at
with it.  Their most common complaint is that the operating systems
don't support it yet.  They mention primarily Windows since
that is what
is most implemented, not in the colo world but what the users
have.  I
suggested they offer a service that somehow translates (heh, shifting
the pain to them) v4 to v6 for their customers to move it along.

Windows XP SP2 has IPv6.  It isn't enabled by default, but it's not
difficult to do.

Apparently Vista does do IPv6 by default out of the box, but I don't
have a Vista system to play with yet to confirm this.

Jamie Bowden
--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"