nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why do we use facilities with EPO's?

From: George William Herbert <gherbert () retro com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:59:58 -0700

Barry wrote:
I worked three years with the boston fire dept, albeit quite a few
years ago, and rode into many fires and don't generally remember them
being much concerned about hitting *anything* with a high-pressure
stream of water if it's on fire.

Remember all those rules you know about not using water on electrical
or chemical fires? Doesn't really count if you have charged fire hoses
and know what you're doing except in some special circumstances (they
did foam things occasionally, very occasionally, foam costs money!)

Around here (Silli Valley) the firefighters I know are pretty aware
of the risks of electricity.  They say that some of them have been
fried by UPSes.

And hazmat; we have the large containers of WMD-grade-toxic silicon fab
gases being shipped around.

-george william herbert
gherbert () retro com