nanog mailing list archives

RE: Why do we use facilities with EPO's?

From: Barry Shein <bzs () world std com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:05:36 -0400

On July 26, 2007 at 16:25 repstein () chello at (Randy Epstein) wrote:
(snip)

Put another way: Between a 120KVA UPS and a gang of experienced
firefighters with charged hoses I'd put my money on the firefighters
every time.

--
        -Barry Shein

You realize the UPS systems we're speaking of are much larger?  Usually 480
volt, many kVA.

FWIW, do you imagine that's terribly large for urban firefighters in
the big scheme of things, not just computer rooms?

My memory could be wrong but I remember the John Hancock building, 60
stories, pulls about 1.5MW...I remember Boston Edison mentioning this
in discussing a design I was working on of a supercomputer facility,
that we were asking for more power than the hancock building which was
ok but it presented..."challenges". Factories can pull a lot of power
also (that room was never built.)

Anyhow, once you're beyond a pea-shooter I don't think procedures for
firefighting vary a whole lot, other than some outliers.

        -b