nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP CALEA compliance

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 03:50:28 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Jon Lewis wrote:

On Thu, 10 May 2007, William Allen Simpson wrote:

Follow the usual best practices, and you may save time and money.

1. Ensure that your DHCP, RADIUS, SMTP, and other logs are always,
ALWAYS, *ALWAYS* rolled over and deleted within 7 days without backup.
I'd recommend 3 days, but operational requirements vary.

Assuming you're actually serious, how do you deal with customers who
dispute usage one or more months ago (when they get their bill)?

Jon,
there is no way this fellow is serious, nor is there anyway this fellow's
advice should be taken without some serious legal discussions with
in-house counsel... the penalties for non-compliance for CALEA are very
steep (100k/day while an order is outstanding I believe?).

-Chris