nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG 40 agenda posted

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 18:17:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Donald Stahl wrote:

and this means getting a good story in front of bean-counters about
expending opex/capex to do this transition work. Today the simplest answer
is: "if we expend Z dollars on new equipment, and A dollars on IT work we
will be able to capture X number of users for Y new service" or some
version of that story.
IPv6 should simply be a requirement of all new equipment purchases (in
large ISP's this should have been the case for a while now). The bean
counters don't see a cost for new equipmnent just to run IPv6- they see
the normal costs to upgrade older equipment. At least that's the way I'm
doing my upgrades.

grr, it ain't just buying new equipment, it's IT work, its certification
of code/features/bugs, interoperatability. Provisioning, planning,
configmanagement.... training...

All of these things require opex/capex spend. You could buy a 'router'
that did ipv6 10 years ago, that doesn't mean that anyone planned on ever
deploying it.