nanog mailing list archives

Re: Question on Loosely Synchronized Router Clocks

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 00:16:34 +0800

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007, Xin Liu wrote:

Ideally, yes, a protocol should not rely on clock synchronization at
all. However, to ensure freshness of messages, we don't have many
choices, and clock synchronization seems to be the least painful one.
So we asked about router clocks on the current Internet. If normally
router clocks are synchronized and we have a mechanism to detect and
fix out-of-sync clocks, is it reasonable to assume clock
synchronization in the rest of our design?

Not without specifying it in the design.

adrian