nanog mailing list archives

Re: an over-the-top data center

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon () orthanc ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:19:43 -0800

On 1-Dec-08, at 10:27 AM, Danny McPherson wrote:

On a related noted, some have professed that adapting old
ships into data centers would provide eco-friendly secure
data center solutions.

Your data connection to shore is going to be tenuous at best. One good blow strong enough to make you drag anchor and you kiss goodbye your fibre trunk connection. Putting that back in service is a bit more than a four hour splice job.

An alternative would be to run a microwave link to shore, but I'm not sure I would want to bet the farm on the mechanics necessary to keep the dish aligned.

And what do you do when it's time to haul out and paint the bottom?!?

Then there is the matter of power. It wouldn't be very hard to DOS the entire operation by taking out the fuel barges.

I suppose you could permanently tie up to a pier, but at that point you're just a building with a leaky basement. I don't see how anyone could claim this is more secure than a purpose-built data centre. (And even at anchor, how do you stop someone from taking you out with something as simple as a drill?)

--lyndon (mailing via Wimax from S/V Bandido I, at the dock in Vancouver :-)