nanog mailing list archives

Re: Asymmetrical routing opinions/debate

From: "William Herrin" <herrin-nanog () dirtside com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:58:42 -0500

On Jan 14, 2008 10:30 AM, Drew Weaver <drew.weaver () thenap com> wrote:
I haven't noticed too many instances of this causing huge performance problems,
but I have noticed some, has anyone noticed any instances in the real world where this
has actually caused performance gains over symmetrical routing?

Drew,

There are at least two common scenarios where intentional asymmetric
routing (aka traffic engineering) benefits the sender:

Scenario 1: InterNAP-like product where the outbound packet takes a
path optimized for conditions other than shortest AS path. Conditions
might include minimize packet loss or maximize throughput as
determined by ongoing communication with testpoints in that direction.

Scenario 2: Cost minimization for bulk transfer. If you operate a
large mailing list or a usenet server, you might arrange for traffic
from the server to prefer peers first and then your lowest-cost
transit provider.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
3005 Crane Dr.                        Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/>