nanog mailing list archives

Re: EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re: Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs)

From: John Curran <jcurran () mail com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:43:10 -0400

At 4:17 PM +0000 6/22/08, Paul Vixie wrote:
with EC2, it's game-over for the IP reputation industry, other than
possibly lists of dynamic IP blocks (modems, DSL, etc) from which SMTP
ought not come.  but for the wider IP address space, we now return to
content based filtering, and i predict a mighty increase in the number of
pink contracts in colo rooms.  (the silver lining is, this could reduce
pressure on BGP piracy/injection.)

as randy bush often says, "it's just business."  amazon has solid business
reasons for creating EC2 and there's no way it could be profitable if they
can't scale the user base, and there's no way to scale the user base if
they have to police it at the application or "intent" level.  so, i'm not
whining, just pointing out that this is a sea change, the end of an era.

I agree that it's going to be difficult to deal with this on an IP
reputation basis (at least using IPv4 :-), but not certain that
means that a total lack of policing will stand long-term.  The
litmus test will likely be subsequent to the first large scale P2P
service appearing in the EC2 cloud and distributing quantities
of copyright material...

/John