nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dan Kaminsky

From: Ben Scott <mailvortex () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 18:26:45 -0400

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio () gmail com> wrote:
At some time in the future and when a new paradigm for the user interface is
conceived, we may not longer have the end user “typing” a URL, the DNS or
something similar will still be in the background providing name to address
mapping but there will be no more monetary value associated with it or that
value will be transferred to something else.

  We're already there.  It's called "Google".

  In the the vast majority of cases I have seen, people don't type
domain names, they search the web.  When they do type a domain name,
they usually type it into the Google search box.

  (Alternatively, they type everything into the browser's "address
bar", which is really a
"search-the-web bar" in most browsers.)

  (Replace "Google" with search engine of your choice.)

-- Ben