nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS alternatives (was Re: Dan Kaminsky)

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:24:56 +0700

On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:11 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

For all it's short comings the DNS and the single namespace it brings is much better than
having a multitude of namespaces.

I agree with you, but I don't think this approach is going to persist as the standard model.

Increasingly, transport and what we now call layer-7 are going to become conflated (we already see all these Rube Goldberg-type mechanisms to try and accomplish this OOB now, with predictable results), and that's going to lead to APIs/data types embedding this information, IMHO.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

        Unfortunately, inefficiency scales really well.

                   -- Kevin Lawton