nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dan Kaminsky

From: Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:32:42 -0400

andrew.wallace wrote:
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Dragos Ruiu<dr () kyx net> wrote:
at the risk of adding to the metadiscussion. what does any of this have to
do with nanog?
(sorry I'm kinda irritable about character slander being spammed out
unnecessarily to unrelated public lists lately ;-P )

What does this have to do with Nanog, the guy found a critical
security bug on DNS last year.
He didn't find it. He only publicized it. the guy who wrote djbdns fount it years ago. Powerdns was patched for the flaw a year and a half before Kaminsky published his article.

http://blog.netherlabs.nl/articles/2008/07/09/some-thoughts-on-the-recent-dns-vulnerability

"However - the parties involved aren't to be lauded for their current fix. Far from it. It has been known since 1999 that all nameserver implementations were vulnerable for issues like the one we are facing now. In 1999, Dan J. Bernstein <http://cr.yp.to/djb.html> released his nameserver (djbdns <http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html>), which already contained the countermeasures being rushed into service now. Let me repeat this. Wise people already saw this one coming 9 years ago, and had a fix in place."

--Curtis