nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:57:41 -0500

Walter Keen wrote:
   I agree, while the majority of government and service providers have
   the opinion that POTS is a lifeline service, and ethernet is not, I
   disagree.  I know the service provider I work for is starting to change
   their views on this, but it will take time for the general populous of
   managers, etc throughout the nation to realize this.

Since no one is mentioning it, the batteries often can only power POTS for 8 hours. If ethernet is left on, it drastically drops the runtime. This is not acceptable, yet I haven't seen a good setup that can provide 8+ hours for both.

Of course, it's been a non-issue for me. We run weeks without power just fine with FTTC.

Jack