nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Confusion

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 05:55:25 +0900

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009, Bob Snyder wrote:
Frank Bulk wrote:
Considering that the only real IPv6-ready CPE at your favorite N.A.
electronics store is Apple's AirPort, it seems to me that it will be
several years before the majority (50% plus 1) of our respective customer
bases has IPv6-ready or dual-stack equipment.

Actually, out of the box my newish Linksys WRT610N started sending RAs
and provides IPv6 connectivity via 6to4. Came as a bit of a surprise
when it stole traffic away from my existing IPv6 tunnel. Couple of
problems, though:

1) No switch to turn it off
2) No firewalling/filtering is done.

This makes it somewhat less than ideal, and worse than the original
Apple Airport default configuration which at least had clear and obvious
knobs to make it do the right thing even if they had a poor default setting.

Would you be willing to update the ARIN ipv6 info wiki page for this?

http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Broadband_CPE

Whoever looks after this - would you please consider setting up some kind
of feature/bug matrix that tries to capture a bit of how "good" these things
are? Just saying "Yup, supports IPv6" with no idea of how well, which bits
work/don't, stuff like lacking firewalling (as above) would be good to know.

Thanks!

Adrian
(Using a Cisco 827, speaks IPv6 real good..)