nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Confusion

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:12:32 +1300

On 18/02/2009, at 4:13 PM, Brandon Galbraith wrote:

So we deploy v6 addresses to clients, and save the remaining v4
addresses for servers. Problem solved?

I have been suggesting that for a long time.

However I am not suggesting IPv6-only to clients. See my other email on this from a minute or so ago.

The way I see things going in the medium term:
* IPv4 SP-NAT
* IPv6 native to clients

Clients with no DHCPv6 can get DNS resolvers etc, and they can get to IPv4 hosts through IPv4 NAT which they already understand, and does not require application changes. They can use the native IPv6 transit from their ISPs to get to other IPv6 hosts. I do not expect the other IPv6 hosts I mention to be IPv6-only - but chances are they will be behind IPv4 NAT. That doesn't matter of course, because we are reaching them on native IPv6.

I also recommend that you hold on to a /22 or something, and use that for customer assignment - but replicate it many times in your network. This way, your numbers assigned to customers will never conflict with their internal RFC1918 addressing, and their "deny RFC1918 to/from outside" automatic firewall things will not have any problems. Public IPv4 addresses behind NAT is quite common, so applications are used to dealing with it by now, for the most part - there are a few bugs with this and some implementations of 6to4 so I will write up a work around for this.

We now have a bunch of IPv4 addresses we can re-purpose for servers and things, because we require less IPv4 addresses to serve our end user customers base. We will not be able to put servers on IPv6-only for a long time - we will have legacy applications, client hosts, and access networks that do not support IPv6. IPv4 will be required for public servers until these client hosts are a smaller percentage than they are now.

Dirty trick - if you are an access-only provider, wait until the IPv4 pools are depleted, and then push all your customers in to SP-NAT, and then sell your now unused addresses[1] to other providers who cannot make do with hosts behind IPv4 NAT (ie, colocation, business Internet services, etc.). Use this income to pay for your IPv6 rollout, so your customers can continue to do end-to-end stuff. I forget what Geoff's speculation of what an IP address would cost - I seem to recall around about $1M per /16, but I could be wrong.

--
Nathan Ward

[1] Yes I know that this is not allowed under current policy at any RIR.