nanog mailing list archives

Re: Estimate of satellite vs. Land-based traffic

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 01:26:48 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Paul Donner wrote:
WRT Kevin's query, if you are concerned about a solar incident and it's affects on satcom, you might want to take a look at what user base (e.g. which mobile users and what impact loss of comm will have on what they are doing) is affected rather than understanding the volumes that are affected as this might provide a much more thorough understanding of any impact. But that is merely my two cents worth.

Yep, consider the Galaxy IV satellite incident. The loss of a single satellite had a significant impact on its user population for several
days/month.  Other satellites can be moved into an orbital slot, and
dishes can be re-pointed; but Galaxy IV lead to some interesting (i.e.
unexpected to some users) failures.  I'm not sure how many hospitals
realized their "in-house" pager systems relied on a satellite.