nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICSI Netalyzr launch

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:52:13 -0400

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Nathan Ward<nanog () daork net> wrote:
On 11/06/2009, at 2:16 PM, vern () ee lbl gov wrote:

didn't want to spring for a cert for that eh? www.startssl.com ... hey
lookie! free certs!

?  We bought a cert from Thawte specifically so people wouldn't find that
it's suspect.  Does it look funny when your browser presents it to you?

I had the same problem, I'm not sure Christopher correctly diagnosed it.

It looks like in Safari, when a Java applet asks for unrestricted access (as
opposed to standard) it presents you with the security cert to confirm that
you really want it. It says "This certificate is valid", as opposed to
"invalid" or "untrusted" or whatever normally comes up.

<http://img38.imageshack.us/i/picture1apq.png/>

actually:
1) it's firefox
2) the error is from 'java' (looks like the same error as you get nathan)
3) it says: "This applet was signed by the 'International Computer
Science Institute' , but Java canNOT verify the authenticity of the
signature's certificate. Do you trust this certificate?"

So... java fail, my-reading-skills-fail...

-chris

Screenshot of the GUI:
http://don.braintrust.co.nz/~nward/netalyzr.png