nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews () isc org>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 12:25:03 +1000

In message <20090502002406.GK4507 () hezmatt org>, Matthew Palmer writes:
On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 09:40:23AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

In message <49FB4661.8090503 () west net>, Jay Hennigan writes:
LEdouard Louis wrote:
Optimum Online business only offer 5 static IP address.

Where can I buy a block of Internet IP address for Business? How much
does it cost?

Only five?  Really?  Our basic residential users get 18 quintillion
addresses, and business users get 65536 times that many.  Tell them you
need a few more.  :-)

    Actually residential users do.  One /64 is not enough.  On
    can argue about whether a /56 or a /48 is appropriate for
    residential users but a single /64 isn't and residential
    ISP's should be planning to hand out more than a single /64
    to their customers.

How many home users (or even small businesses) have more than one subnet at
the moment (behind NAT, presumably)?  As a percentage of subscribers, what
does that equate to?

        I know on quite a few none geek households that have multiple
        nets today using double or triple NAT.  These households
        will be your multi-subnet IPv6 customers.  The NAT boxes
        will be replaced with ones that do DHCPv6 PD (both up and
        down stream).

Handing out an IPv6 /56 to a DSL or cable customer should be handled much
the same way as giving them an IPv4 /29 is today -- ask, and it shall be
provided, but it's wasteful[1] to do so by default.

        One won't hand out a /56.  Think about how the above CPE
        boxes will work with PD.  You will get multiple /64 requests
        from the border CPE box with different IAID on them, one
        for each subnet in use.  The border CPE box could also
        consolidate the requests from downstream if it so desired
        but I would expect that would not be the default configuration.

        Mark

- Matt

[1] Just because we've got a lot of it, doesn't mean we should be pissing it
up against the wall unnecessarily.  A motto for network engineers and
economists alike.
--
[M]ost of the other people here [...] drive cars that they have personally
built (starting with iron ore, charcoal, and a Malaysian turn-signal tree)

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews () isc org